Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Run Cycle

Here's a run cycle I made for our character Charlie. It's really more of a jog cycle than a run. I'm still learning, so ignore the faults!


Saturday, October 20, 2012

Newt at the Riptide

This is a rotoscope project I worked on over the summer a bit. I know it's weird, but for some reason, I'm highly entertained by it.
It was a great way to get used to working on my new tablet, too.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

jumping rope

I'm taking a tutorial class in animation and really focusing on the basics this time: not just making things move, but using timing sheets, flipping and rolling the paper while I draw and starting with basic shapes before I get too attached to my drawings. Not forgetting squash and stretch, ease in and ease out, maintaing size and volume, implying a sense of weight and arcs. Arcs everywhere. So far, I really feel like I'm learning a lot, which is great.
We've been given a giant-noggined character named Charlie and the first assignment was to make him jumprope. This is how mine turned out. Featureless, since we're supposed to focus on the basic shapes.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Even more prints

These are the other prints I made this summer. I got a little more experience with aqua tinting on the boston terrier print and I experimented with chin colle (cutting out pieces of colored paper that get glued and embedded into the other paper as you crank it through the press).


School has started up again, so I'm trying to get the rest of my summer stuff up before I get swamped with assignments. Should be a good year! But it's already shaping up to be a lot of work. I'm taking a class in character rigging in Maya, traditional hand-drawn animation, sound, a visual studies elective on Japanese aesthetics and my senior project class. The last two years feel like they've gone by way too fast so I don't expect anything else from this year! Then it's back out to the real world to attempt to find a job...

Monday, September 3, 2012

It's moving!

I finally got my Baba Yaga moving and shaking.
I'm still experimenting with Flash, and this is one of my many summer projects and ideas that was lucky enough to actually get to a more or less finished state.


Sunday, September 2, 2012


I'm attempting to teach myself how to color using photoshop. We learned a little bit in my character design class last semester, but I figured I could use a lot more practice. Here's my latest effort. With polkadots!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Another print

Here's another print from my summer class. I used hard ground to etch the bird in first, made a few prints, then I attempted the process of applying an aquatint. It didn't exactly come out as expected and most of it is much darker than I would have liked, but you live, you learn, right?
Fun with acid!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Elephant Teapot

In June, I moved from my Troll Hole of a studio in Nob Hill to a house in the Outer Sunset and now I have a little dungeon office/studio off the garage, which I love. This little guy is the latest addition to my fortress of solitude! I found him at Cost Plus over the weekend and had to spend the twelve bucks on him. Now he keeps me company down here when my dog, Zoe can't be bothered. Not to mention that trekking upstairs every ten minutes to get hot water is one less distraction to keep me from doing work.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Printmaking & Distribution Poles

I took a printmaking class at Laney College this summer after work and it turned out to be an amazingly complicated process. I felt like a monk etching, scraping, inking and cranking out my latest visions to post throughout my village. Totally medieval. And completely dangerous. Acids, heavy machinery, toxic inks, highly flammable chemicals, sharp tools that look like shivs and a 500 degree hot plate waiting to burn you in the corner of the room. Luckily I made it out with only minor injuries.
These are a few of my linocut prints. I attempted to use a reductive process on these, and as you can see I had some problems registering the lino when I was printing over the initial images. I don't know how it happened, but I swear that my linoleum grew a bit... Oh well!

I also went a little color crazy on this one.